Friday, January 18, 2008

how i got here...

i've been a volunteer with Room to Read for almost exactly a year now. it was my new years resolution in '07 to pick up another volunteer project. i read about Room to Read in a magazine and it seemed like the perfect fit for me. after filling out a volunteer application i learned that the Denver/Boulder chapter was just getting started so i had the opportunity to be there from ground up.

about half way into last year i had the brilliant idea that i was going to organize a fashion show/silent auction fundraiser featuring local Denver designers. i brought my idea up to my friend Brie who worked for flying dog brewery. they had recently started having events in the warehouse next to the brewery and agreed to let me host my event there as well as provide the beer. i had a fashion show producer lined up and everything.

and then.

the warehouse was rented out permanently and the fashion show producer didn't work out. disaster!

i decided to push back the event to Spring of '08 which would give me time to find a new venue and a new fashion show producer.

long story short (maybe not so short).

it's almost Spring of '08.

last week i had a get together with Brie and my friend Paula (who had both volunteered to help with the event) to talk about the direction and what steps i should take etc etc and we decided to take the event online! so now my fashion show/silent art auction is going to be an online art auction, which means the art can come from all over the country and will give the artists more exposure.

now i just have to figure out how to do an online silent art auction.

wish me luck.

No comments:

Information

Comments and questions are highly encouraged! If you're interested in volunteering with Room to Read please feel free to email me as I am also the Volunteer Coordinator for the Denver/Boulder chapter or if you are an artist and would like to donate to the cause!
Email me here: Aimee's email
For general information on Room to Read visit their website at
http://www.roomtoread.org/