Monday, March 10, 2008

volunteer for a day!

I received this email on Friday from the Mentor program that I'm in, Metro Denver Partners. Ashley and I will be there!
(here's the link to the volunteer app: http://rt.civicore.com/VolunteerApp)


I am working with Rebuilding Together (a nonprofit organization) that twice a year has volunteers work on neighborhood homes (like Habitat for Humanity). On Saturday, April 26th we will be working on the house of the child I mentor, Sharey Blackwell. Ethel Blackwell is 78 years old and currently has custody of 4 of her 6 great grandchildren (obviously Sharey being one of the 4 children). The children were going to be placed in children’s services several years ago and she took custody of her great grandchildren and is bringing them up in her home. The home needs a lot of cosmetic repair (mostly painting inside and out) and Rebuilding Together has accepted her house for one of this spring’s projects. I need to pull together approximately 20-25 volunteers to help on this project. It is only for one day and is usually less than 8 hours. I will be the House Captain on this project and will have a Skilled Captain to work on any major repairs that will be done on the home. The home is located near 26th and Downing not far from downtown.

I have attached the link below if you would like to sign up as a volunteer and help me complete this project in one day. The project sponsor for this house is the Carson Family Foundation which you can locate on the drop down menu on the volunteer application. You can also contact me if you have any questions as I have been on a few teams prior to this upcoming project. I really could use all the help I can get. If you do sign up on the site below, please make sure to include my name or Ethel Blackwell’s in order to be assigned to the proper house. If you wish to go to their website it is www.rebuildingdenver.org.

I have sent this on to a few people who I thought may know of additional helpers if you can forward. The more volunteers – the faster the project will be completed. Rebuilding Together provides you breakfast and lunch and the satisfaction of helping someone in need. Thanks.

No comments:

Information

Comments and questions are highly encouraged! If you're interested in volunteering with Room to Read please feel free to email me as I am also the Volunteer Coordinator for the Denver/Boulder chapter or if you are an artist and would like to donate to the cause!
Email me here: Aimee's email
For general information on Room to Read visit their website at
http://www.roomtoread.org/